Tuesday, August 4, 2009

May Day

Let's go together out in the night, where the trees are heavy with flowers, where the shadows lay a second darkness on your hair. The crowns of this morning are faded, the coins of the sun are spent and scattered to reward its ragged troupe of birds -- but stars flicker behind a heavy stained-glass sky, and I hear distant shawms begin to play. Your kisses are the color of champagne, your touch makes needles of fear under my skin.

Even if your love is no longer than an hour, no stronger than a violet's stem, still it is what I desire: you must begin and end within the echo of my breath.

Green is thundering out of the ground, drawing our shadows out behind -- the night leaves us no place to rest, no stone that is safe from lightning, no chain we can hold to keep from falling.

The wind has stacked me a card house of joy, has marked you as my day to celebrate: I settle under the weight of your name. Love seeks to speak a perfect lie, a line all your women-to-be will gladly hear, a grace that is almost sincere.

And so accept me as your ornament, your spell and proof against all fright. You are the woman my chance has chosen to slow the change of the shape of the moon, to carry my flowers through one long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment