Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Answer no Question Asked

I went to the verge, I say, and came back safely. I reached my North and it had meaning. Here at the actual pole of my existence, where all that I have done is meaningless, where I die or live by accident alone – where, living or dying, I am still alone; Here where North, the night, the berg of death crowed me out of the ignorant darkness, I see at last that all knowledge I wrung from the darkness is worthless as ignorance: Nothing comes from nothing. The darkness comes from the darkness. Pain comes from the darkness. And we call it wisdom. It is pain. Some have not been so fortunate, some have fallen. They themselves turn back, unworried. But I have been there There I stood under the tree. My hand against its resinous bark: my face turned out and downward to the fourfold kingdom. The wind roared from all quarters. The waterfall came down, it seemed, from heaven. The mighty sounds of pouring elements, earth, fire, air and water. The cry of eagles, chatter of falling stones – These were the frightful languages of that place. I understood it all.Water and fire were there, and air and earth. There too was emptiness; All, and nothing, and something too, and love. But these poor words, these squeaks of ours, in which we strive to mimic, with strained throats and tongues, the spawning and outrageous elements. Alas! How paltry are they! For I saw myself and God. I saw the ruin in which godhead lives; shapeless and vast: the strewn wreck of the world: Sadness unplumbed: Misery without bound. Wailing I heard, but also I heard joy. Wreckage I saw, but also I saw flowers. Hatred I saw, but also I saw love………………….. And thus, I saw myself.This alone awaits you, when you dare to that sheer verge where horror hangs, and tremble against the falling rock; and, looking down, search the dark kingdom. It is to self you come. It is the seed of seeds. It is the answer no question asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment